Afghanistan: at least 5 dead in suicide bombing in Kabul

At least five people died when a suicide bomber in western Kabul Tuesday morning, reported the authorities, the first explosion of its kind after two months of relative calm in the capital.

“This morning around 7: 00AM, a suicide bomber blew himself up, killing five people including two civilians and three members of the military”, said to AFP, Nasrat Rahimi, spokesman for the ministry of the Interior.

The attack has also injured twelve others, including five civilians, said Mr. Rahimi, adding that the toll could evolve.

The ministry of Defence, in a press release, reported five killed – a civilian and four members of the security forces and six wounded.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the incident, which took place at the first checkpoint at the entrance of a military academy, according to several people on the scene and security officers.

“It was a loud explosion, which shook our house. We also heard gun shots then”, told AFP Samiullah, who, like many Afghans, uses only one name. “The ambulance arrived on the scene quickly”.

The chief of police in Kabul confirmed the attack and its target, according to local media.

The center of military training had already been referred to several times by attacks in the past, the last dating back to may 2019, and claimed by the group Islamic State.

The suicide attack comes after more than two months of relative calm in the capital, related to negotiations between the taliban and Washington over the withdrawal of u.s. troops from Afghanistan in exchange for security guarantees from insurgents.

The signing of an agreement between the two sides, imminent in early September, had been cancelled at the last minute by the us president Donald Trump, after yet another attack that had killed including an american soldier. Discussions have since resumed in Doha, Qatar, but seem to stumble on the requirement the united states to a significant reduction in violence from the taliban.

They have indicated that they have sent mid-January, an offer of ceasefire, temporary in the United States, without official reaction on the american side.

The last attack major Kabul dated back to last November, when 12 people were killed in the explosion, a minivan packed with explosives.

Share