This is the first documentary evidence that the ruins in the Negev desert was the city of Halutz.
The inscription in ancient Greek with the name of the city helped to confirm the location of the ancient Nabataean city of Jaluzi, reports The Times of Israel. Perhaps the inscription was made 1700 years ago, during the reign of the Roman Emperor Diocletian, and found him near the Roman baths. According to the researchers, this is the first documentary evidence that the ruins really once was a city Halutz, informs Rus.Media.
Halutz was founded face by the Nabateans, the territory of modern Israel in the third century BC as one of the stops on the Road of incense – trade route that connected the Arabian Peninsula, the Mediterranean and Mesopotamia. From southern Arabia and the horn of Africa carried frankincense, myrrh and spices. Later on this path Christian pilgrims headed to the monastery of Saint Catherine in the Sinai. The heyday of the city reached during the Byzantine domination. It was the only city in the Negev desert, besides here, did the wine. After the conquest of the Eastern Mediterranean by the Arabs, Haluco not destroyed, the city remained a regional center. Later it was destroyed, and its ruins are occasionally robbed during the Ottoman Empire.
Archaeological excavations began here in the 60-ies of the last century, and intermittently still. During this time, scientists have discovered the street, two churches, a winery and the theater. 2015 excavations in the Halutz carried out by experts from the Israel antiquities authority and archaeologists from Cologne and Bonn universities under the guidance of Professor Michael Heinzelmann (Michael Heinzelmann). During the work scientists have compiled a map of the city that was occupied by the 450 thousand square meters. In addition to other buildings, it had nine churches, three pottery workshops, baths and a huge house with a colonnade.
Now scientists are excavating a Byzantine Church and the baths, and have already opened part of the heating system and the caldarium (room with hot water). Next to the baths, they found an inscription in ancient Greek – “Elusa”. He was placed on the wall near 1700 years ago, probably during the reign of the Roman Emperor Diocletian. Archaeologists suggest that the inscription was made when the X Roman Legion was transferred from Palestine to Aqaba on the red sea coast. This is the first documentary evidence that the ruins do an ancient nebraskon city Halutz.