The former computer scientist of the canadian armed Forces accused of possession, accession and distribution of child pornography and if caught with the material, “despite himself”, or has he been informed?
This is what the five women and seven men who make up the jury will have to determine in the next few days, once the judge Carl Thibaut has given its guidelines.
On Wednesday, the lawyer of Jean-Baptiste Abel, Louis Belliard and the prosecutor, Me, Sonia Lapointe, spoke to the jurors to bring their light on the evidence presented in the last few days.
For the defence, it is clear that a man of 30 years was unaware that images of children in positions that are sexually explicit were available on different computer media.
First, because these materials were often “shared between guys in the military,” to download movies or tv series, but also because of the files that have been destroyed in the often been “by block”, as “if he threw it in the trash things without really knowing what it was,” argued to Me, Belliard.
“And don’t forget that, in order to commit a crime, it takes two things: it must first do something wrong and have the intention,” said the lawyer.
Sexually explicit material
The prosecutor has referred the jury to the evidence presented and the description of the pornographic material that has been made by the investigator on the file.
“The evidence revealed that the defendant was a consumer of child pornography for many years. He tried to stop, but he has not succeeded”, stressed Me Lapointe, adding that he knew “where to go to find these images,” and “what key word to use”.
She also recalled that during the interrogation of the accused at the headquarters of the Sûreté du Québec, the latter was shown to be “chatty” and that he had provided more details.
“And remember that, when he confesses his actions to the investigator, it is after the latter told him that the equipment had been found. It was there that he began to work, because he knew very well that with the right tools, the police would find what they were looking for,” added Me Lapointe.
We should remember that it is the social network Facebook, which has denounced, in October 2015, a photo identified as being child pornography.
A year later, the suspect was met at the Valcartier military base and then arrested by investigators from the Sûreté du Québec.