After the Catholic community, it was the Muslim representatives who denounced Quebec's decision concerning restricted access to places of worship. Depending on the region, only groups of 25 to 50 people are now allowed
“We are disappointed and surprised by this announcement, whereas throughout the pandemic, we have collaborated with the public authorities,” said Imam Hassan Guillet, representative of the Muslim community in Quebec.
During a press briefing on Monday, Cardinal Gérald Cyprien Lacroix asked the Quebec government to review the classification of places of worship. They are currently located at the same level as bars and places that sell alcohol.
While auditoriums, theaters and cinemas can still accommodate 250 people, religious representatives would like to be in the same category. “We don't want preferential treatment, we just don't want to be placed in the same basket as bars,” explained Mr. Guillet.
In an open letter, the director of the Fondation du Grand Séminaire de Montréal, Sébastien Froidevaux, asks the authorities to trust the dioceses, “which scrupulously respect the sanitary measures dictated by public health”.
So far, no contamination has been recorded during religious gatherings. “There has been no reported outbreak in Catholic places of worship in Montreal or any outbreak in other places of worship of other denominations,” said in a letter Dr. Mylène Drouin, director of public health from Montreal.
“This new requirement responds to a political decision, not to the facts,” lamented Hassan Guillet.