It is important, Apple and Google will not publish a common application for all markets, but rather the tools to create one.
The idea of a mobile application to viral exposure has made great strides, given the interest it causes in the world to limit the spread of the covid-19.
This is understandable, Apple and Google want their share in the fight against the disease covid-19 and the means that they advocate is an application that will alert people who have been less than two meters of the people infected by the virus.
An app for public health authorities
Seen that the two companies control 99% of smart phones in the world, the idea of a mobile application to viral exposure is making great strides, even the prime minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Sunday evening to the issuance TLMEP that his government was considering.
The tools to create these famous applications notification of exposure will be offered to countries, to companies or to public health authorities so that they can develop their own applications.
Under specific conditions
Apple and Google have also now released independent rules that developers must follow to distribute apps on the App Store and Google Play using the API (application programming interface) for notification of exposure.
- The applications must obtain the consent of users before you can use the notification API of exposure.
- The applications shall require the consent of users before sharing it with the public health authority, a positive test result and the “key diagnosis” related to their devices.
- Applications should only collect the minimum data necessary, and may not use these data only for the efforts of response to the covid-19. All other uses of users ‘ data, including targeted advertising, are not permitted.
- It is prohibited for applications to request permission to access location services.
- The use of the API will be limited to one application per country in order to promote the adoption by a large number of users and avoid fragmentation.
To this day, the two giants have delivered the first pre-release (beta) of the application development tools for notification of exposure.
A series of problems to solve
As you can see below, the use of the Bluetooth technology poses some technical problems. For example, the iPhone from Apple and Android could not detect easily. Among the issues, the joint statement, Apple and Google indicates:
- The application research of contacts would be unstable and will quickly the battery.
- The proliferation of different systems and applications will make it difficult to contact search and tracking across national or regional borders.
- The large-scale adoption is essential, which means that people must be convinced that the technology will work without compromising their privacy.
- In mid-may, Apple and Google will implement an API in iOS and Android which will allow applications to search for contacts to work reliably on the iPhone and Android phones without draining the battery life.
- In the longer term, the two companies are exploring ways to allow public health authorities to send information about the show without it being necessary to install a separate application to search for contacts.
- Users must explicitly choose to enable notification of exposure — and can be deactivated at any time – and decide whether or not they want to report a positive diagnosis. Their identities are not known to other users, or Google, or Apple.
- The system, which cannot be monetized does not collect or use locating devices, including for users reported covid positive.
- Finally, Google and Apple will be able to disable the notification system of exposure on a regional basis when it is no longer necessary.