Rotavirus or stomach flu may not seem serious disease. But it can be very dangerous for children. It is important to know the symptoms and be ready to help immediately as a child’s life literally depends on your reaction.
We are not going to scare you with statistics. We’ll just tell you what needs to be done to treat rotavirus and how to avoid the consequences, informs Rus.Media.
Remember that the rotavirus has nothing to do with the flu.
What is rotavirus?
Rotavirus was discovered by Professor Ruth Bishop, a doctor from Australia. Intact virus particles resemble a wheel or a ball (from the Latin word rota, a wheel).
When these airborne particles enter our body, they begin to destroy the delicate intestinal villi. The digestive process deteriorates, the person feels severe diarrhea and vomiting, and children have concomitant high temperature.
The main symptoms
The main symptoms of rotavirus is:
- nausea and vomiting
- high temperature
- abdominal pain and rumbling
The main threat to the child is dehydration caused by these symptoms.
In some cases there is a cough and runny nose, so it’s hard to understand what’s wrong. Some children may lose consciousness and experience convulsions due to rapid dehydration.
How is it possible to distinguish between rotavirus and food poisoning?
Quite easy to confuse the virus with food poisoning, though there is a big difference in treatment. In cases of food poisoning, the child must receive a sufficient amount of sorbents and drink plenty of water.
In cases of food poisoning:
- Vomiting is not as severe.
- The temperature does not increase or return to normal.
- No diarrhea or it passes quickly.
- Stomach pain does not last too long.
How to treat rotavirus and what drugs are dangerous in this case
As the dehydration and mineral deficiencies are dangerous for your baby, treatment of rotavirus should be aimed at these problems. Treatment depends on the symptoms, because no specific drugs against rotavirus.
It is important to do the following:
- To drink. Special salt solutions (electrolytes) will restore the balance of necessary elements. And of course don’t forget about the water. In the case of severe vomiting, a child should always drink small amounts of fluid. If you have a baby, and it’s not thirsty, try to give him liquid with a syringe.
- Check the temperature. If the water level in the body enough, the body is faster will win the virus. In the case of high temperature, parents are advised to give the child an antipyretic.
- Use sorbents (activated carbon and products containing sorbates).
- Do not use antibiotics. Antibiotics don’t fight viruses and can be dangerous in cases of rotavirus. They affect the intestines that are already damaged and can only aggravate the diarrhea. Antibiotics are prescribed by doctors only in some cases – for example, if diarrhea lasts more than 14 days, the person is diagnosed with worms, or there is a suspected case of cholera.
If you can’t get the electrolytes from the pharmacy or market, you can prepare your own solution which will provide the body with required amount of salt and other elements:
- 1 liter of water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
When you need to react quickly
People of different age suffer from rotavirus, but this applies mainly to children under the age of 6 years. In some cases you need medical help. Some of them are recommended to prevent infection is by getting the rotavirus vaccine. Rotaviruses are extremely dangerous for children under 2 years, so you must act quickly. If the child is dehydrated, you should seek medical attention. The main signs of dehydration are: the child is not sweating, have difficulty breathing, or urinating more than 3 hours. Keep mucous membranes were too dry. In this case, children have a high risk of pneumonia. Don’t be afraid of the hospital or emergency room doctors will do everything to help your child.
Whether a certain diet?
During the first 24 hours people will probably not want to eat at all, but you need to drink enough water. You can also drink tea instead of water. Milk and dairy products is prohibited, because rotavirus contributes to lactose intolerance.
You have to forget about feeding the child chicken soup, since it leads to diarrhea.
What are we allowed to eat? Try to feed the baby neutral products and slowly expand the menu when the diarrhea will stop. Try to start giving this food:
- Porridge on the water
- Mashed potatoes, water and vegetable soup.
- Baked apples
We hope that these tips will be helpful, and that your child will always be healthy!
This article is for informational purposes only. Before using the data provided above, consult with a certified specialist. The editors do not guarantee any results and assumes no liability for damage or other consequences that may arise as a result of using the information provided above.