We will help you to understand how to learn how to set goals and reach them without wasting their potential wasted.
Human life without purpose can be compared to a journey that has no route. Movement without any sense of direction certainly will not lead you to your dream place. And all because a dream without a plan for its implementation with the installation of short-term and long-term goals, will remain a beautiful but unattainable picture in your head, informs Rus.Media.
Therefore, goal setting is an important science, without the understanding of which fail to achieve success in any sphere of life. We will help you to understand how to learn how to set goals and reach them without wasting their potential wasted.
Why you must set goals
Every day we make decisions, the consequences of which determine our future. Set a goal creates in the mind a perfect picture on the basis of which we make our choice. This filter allows you to discard all unnecessary things which will lead to achieving the intended result. If it does not, it is like compiling a puzzle, the images of which we do not know. Acting at random, will not be able to collect a pretty picture.
The effectiveness of having clear goals in life thousands of times ever since through various studies. One of the most significant is the study of 1979, during which a survey was conducted among graduates of the Harvard business school. They were asked to answer this question: if they put a goal and preparing a plan to achieve them? The results of the survey were as follows:
- 3% of students said that the goal they set, they recorded and to develop a plan for its implementation;
- 13% of respondents to mentally set a goal but did not consider it necessary to record it;
- 84% of graduates had no idea of what goals they pursue in life.
The next stage of research was carried out in 10 years. These same participants were surveyed to determine their success in career and business. The results were impressive:
- 13% who had set goals but had not written it down, earned 2 times more than those 84% who do not consider it necessary to set goals;
- 3% who wrote down their goals and plans for their implementation, have earned 10 times more than all the other 97% of the respondents.
Received after the end of the study data to prove how it is not only important to set a goal and record it, and outline a plan of action for its implementation. It is the students who adhered to this rule, managed to achieve better financial results.
Moreover, the monetary sphere of the effectiveness of goal setting is not limited. This approach will help in achieving the result in any case.
Set goals have both long-term and short-term period. The current task may not have the global scale, however, they also need to clearly define and record. If you do not make plans for the day, then with high probability all of your actions will be random people and circumstances. High temptation to spend free time on an empty pastime – TV, social networking, etc. to begin to live consciously, consider, how to set goals and achieve them with the help of carefully planned actions.
The algorithm of goal setting
Step one. Formulate the goal. Your goal needs to be big to achieve was due to the implementation of many small tasks. This approach is more efficient and gives better motivation than setting many small goals.
Step two. Next, you should test your target for compliance with the performance criteria, which are used in the science of goal setting. The most simple method of evaluation offers the system SMART. The criteria laid down already in the title:
- Specificity (specific). Thinking about your purpose, you must provide the tools to achieve it. For example, “I want to lose weight” and “I want to lose 5 kg”.
- Measurability (measurable). The goal should not be abstract, it should be expressed in any units. In this example, pounds.
- Achievable (attainable). You reach the objective that does not correspond to your real possibilities. Continuing the example, it is impossible to lose 5 pounds in three days, at least, safe for health. It is therefore necessary to set realistic goal.
- Relevance (relevant). You need to evaluate the purpose from the point of view of its importance at the moment, if it is short term, or in the future, if it is long-term. Whether you should lose 5 pounds?
- The time constraints (time-bound). Establishing a specific time period for achieving the goal will allow you to start it as soon as possible, and create the motivation to maintain a given pace. Not forgetting the third paragraph, installed for the purpose of our example, the time period of 2 months. This restriction will not allow to relax, but not forced to resort to dangerous health measures.
Step three. Ask yourself the question: someone before me have already achieved such goals? Goal setting provides for the automatic inclusion of creative thinking, once the course is set. But much more rational to analyze the experience of others than to repeat their mistakes.
Step four. Examine the history of people who have achieved similar goals. Contrary to popular belief, he who learns from the mistakes of others gets a positive result faster.
Step five. Based on the studied data, make its own action plan, which will take into account your baseline.
This approach allows us to use the achievements of others and at the same time adapts them in relation to your circumstances. As a result, in the process of achieving the goal you will encounter fewer obstacles.
What prevents us to realize the objectives
Despite the importance of goal setting, it, unfortunately, is not a guarantee of success. So what prevents people to reach their goals?
The process of achieving the goal resembles a rocket launch into space. After the ignition key is turned, the rocket some time is still standing still. Then she slowly leaves the ground and then abruptly starts to pick up speed.
So it is with achieving goals. First, you have to put a lot of effort, and the result is almost none. Then, if we continue to work hard to appear subtle changes for the better. And only after a sufficiently long period of shock work, we can enjoy the first major success. And then-it’s exactly the opposite: with less effort, we are more able to develop our activities.
The problem with most people is that they give up at the first stage when you need to exert a lot of effort without getting any results.
It was during this period need to make an effort and take responsibility for your life. If you are not to blame their problems on circumstances and other people, and to persist in the movement, you certainly will be achieved what was intended.
For extra motivation at this stage you can set intermediate goals that will manage quickly enough to achieve. These small victories do not allow your enthusiasm to wane and you’re more likely to get to the first serious results.
Now you know how to set goals, because it is not necessary to postpone this process until better times. The sooner plan will be drawn up, the faster you will be able to implement it, for from this time all your thoughts will be focused on finding the right opportunities. This is another secret of successful people.