The city of Quebec has a multipurpose amphitheater at the taste of the day and an important project of the third link is in the cards. No doubt, the Old Capital is no longer what it was at the time when Owen Nolan wore the colours of the Nordiques. It is he himself who says so!
Nolan is back in Quebec with his son Dylan, who moves to the small San Jose Sharks in the Tournament international de hockey pee-wee de Québec this week.
“This city has grown!” he mentioned when The Log passed the sports Complex of Wendake, on Friday afternoon.
“I looked online to find some of the old restaurants where I was going when I was playing and they do not exist any more. I will have to find others”, then laughed, the one that the Nordiques had drafted first overall in the draft of 1990.
Nolan has spent the first five seasons of his career in the uniform of the Nordiques before moving with the organization to Denver, Colorado in 1995.
Once in the Rockies, it has not, however, played nine games with the Avalanche before being traded to the San Jose Sharks against Sandis Ozolinsh, depriving him of the conquest of the Stanley cup by his former team, a few months later.
He then spent the seven subsequent seasons with the Sharks before ending his career with stops in Toronto, Phoenix, Calgary and Minnesota.
In spite of all, it recognizes that Québec remains a place which will always remain special to him.
“This is where it all started for me. I have lived so many beautiful moments here, and I met fantastic people. To have the chance to come back here with my son and be able to supervise the tournament pee-wee is something special for me. I’m glad to be back. One thing has not changed, it is still freezing cold!”
Nolan will participate in the ceremonial puck for the game of the small Walls at 13 h, Saturday afternoon, in the company of Eric Lindros (see another text).
“It will be well to review the amateurs of Quebec. The people here are partisans, pure and hard”, says he.
Nolan has not had the chance to participate in the tournament pee-wee when he was the same age. He now hopes that his son and the whole team of the San Jose Sharks will make the most of this unique opportunity that they have to take part in this event.
“I don’t think they realize what it represents. Even when there was NHL hockey to Quebec city, this tournament generates always a enthusiasm monster. We try as possible to tell them to enjoy it, but I think they will perform in our first match”, says it about their return to school Sunday after noon, 13 h, face… the small Northern.
Ah, if there is another thing that probably has not changed from the time of Nolan with the Nords, it is the accessibility to Quebec by air. Flight delays have delayed their arrival at the airport Jean-Lesage and half of the equipment of the players was missing.
Fortunately, everything is now back in order.
A first for Ron MacLean
Events in the world of hockey, host Ron MacLean has covered. Never, however, has he had the opportunity to come to Quebec city during the Tournament international de hockey pee-wee de Québec and piaffe this impatience at the idea of living the experience of the interior.
MacLean and his sidekick Tara slone senior will arrive in Quebec city Sunday as part of the Tour Hockey here who will be based in the Old Capital for the weekend. Of course, even if he never participated, MacLean knows what is this tournament for thousands of young hockey players throughout the world. This scope, he believes, deserves that its matches are broadcast on a national scale.
“I was in interview with a Vancouver radio just before you speak, and I was wondering why this tournament is not being televised across Canada. Year after year, this tournament of future stars of the NHL.”
The Tournament pee-wee has studied this possibility recently, revealed the general director of the event Patrick Dom on Friday.
“The broadcaster with whom we spoke has sponsors that are in conflict with the interests of our own. The only problem, he was there. Knowing that, I don’t think it’s going to happen one day,” said Dom, Friday, specifying that it was a major u.s. television network, without the name.
To return to the Tour, it will officially Saturday at noon and several activities will be organized. On the menu : autograph session with several personalities from the world of hockey including Manon Rhéaume, and Paul Coffey, an area of outdoor hockey including helping to meet Coffey, an interview before an audience with the mother of Patrice Bergeron, a show of the artist-hockey player Steve Goodtime as well as another, on the outdoor stage, Jonathan Roy Sunday evening.
The whole will conclude with the distribution on the giant screen in the place Jean-Béliveau, the meeting between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Sabres of Buffalo.
“We want to celebrate the winter crop of Quebec,” adds MacLean. We also want to go back to the roots because we know not only that players like Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky have played here, but it also wants to highlight some of the popular figures of the tournament.”
The games on the schedule
- Wildcats de Moncton 5 c. Team Doritos 2 | AA
- North Shore Winter Club 0 c. Eagles, Jr. Boston 1 | AAA
- Kings Jr. Los Angeles 5 c. Stars K&B Slovakia 4 | AAA
- Bruins Burnaby Winter Club 0 c. Detroit Honeybaked 4 | AAA
- Hurricanes Jr. Carolina 2 c. Lions of Zurich 3 (TB) | AA-Elites
- Lynx of Jesus-Marie de Beauceville 0 c. Predators of John Rennie 2 | School
- Rams de la Suisse Romande 1 c. Phantoms Lehigh Valley 2 | AA-Elites
- New York Islanders 2 c. Select Japan 1 | AA-Elites
- Detroit Compuware 3 c. Whalers Jr. of Connecticut 2 | AAA
- Colorado Avalanche 7 c. Gulls Jr. San Diego 1 | AA
- New York Rangers 1 c. Ducks Jr. Anaheim 0 | AAA
- 8 h | Hawks Palm Beach c. KSF Denmark | Inter B
- 9: 15 pm | Fire Atlanta c. boston Bruins junior, Boston | AA
- 10: 30 a.m. | Ranger junior of Connecticut c. Selects from Switzerland-Is | AA-Elites
- 11: 45 am | Royal Cardinal-Roy c. Seacoast Performance Academy | School
- 13 h | of Select Croatia c. Quebec Remparts | AA-Elites
- 14: 15 | Lions du Lac St-Louis c. Bears junior Hershey | AA-Elites
- 15 h 30 | Golden Knights Jr. Vegas c. Evry-Viry Paris | AA
- 16: 45 | Diabolos Lucille-Teasdale c. Flames of Vermont Academy | School
- 18 h | Stars of Long Island c. Thunderbirds Colorado | AAA
- 19: 15 | Veneto c. Pumas Swindon | Inter B
- 20: 30 | viking ships of Caen c. HC Como | Inter B