investigation reveals details of “significant logistics organization”

    investigation reveals details of “significant logistics organization”

    Three days after the wild New Year’s party which brought together 2,400 partygoers south of Rennes, a first organizer was indicted and imprisoned on Monday as part of an investigation aimed at ensuring that all those responsible for this illegal gathering ” answer for their actions “before justice.

    In an authoritarian tone, the Rennes prosecutor first castigated the organization of this giant party, in the midst of a health crisis, which could “shock our fellow citizens”. “This is certainly an irresponsible behavior, deeply asocial and which is criminally punishable and will be sanctioned”, while “most of our fellow citizens made the effort of a New Year’s Eve in a small committee”, he said assured during a press conference at the Rennes judicial court.

    >> To read also: Clandestine party in Brittany: “If it was to be done, we would do it again”, says one of the organizers

    The editorial team advises you

    First indictment

    The prosecutor then announced the first indictment of an organizer, a young man born in 1999, homeless, living in a truck and arrested Saturday in Iffendic, west of Rennes. He was indicted in particular for illicit organization of this event and endangering the lives of others. In accordance with the requisitions of the prosecution who argued “a risk of consultation with the other organizers and guarantees of representation not up to the challenges”, the young man was placed in pre-trial detention.

    “My client does not recognize being part of the organization” of this party, said Monday evening Me Rémi Cassette, lawyer for the young man. “He admits having participated and given a hand punctually but not having been in the organization”.

    More than 1000 SMS sent

    “I am very shocked by his placement in pre-trial detention”, insisted the lawyer, especially, he stressed, that his client “has no criminal record”. The placement in detention “within the framework of organizing parties of this type, in my opinion, is a first,” he said.

    During the search on Saturday, “sound equipment in significant volumes could be seized” in Iffendic, Mr. Astruc recalled. In addition, the investigation revealed that the indicted had sent more than 1,000 text messages on Thursday at the place of the party.

    Asked about the possible number of organizers to find, the prosecutor believes that there should be “at least three or four, maybe a little more”.

    The prosecutor also unveiled the details of the organization of this techno party, which fueled criticism of a possible “passivity” of the police and public authorities.

    Entry at five euros

    “We did not stand idly by,” thundered the prosecutor who took up the facts.

    Friday around 6.30 pm, “no less than 300 vehicles were spotted in Saint-Nicolas de Redon”, in Loire-Atlantique. Less than two hours later, these vehicles headed further north, towards Lieuron.

    “At that time, 80 local gendarmes, (…) supported by a company of gendarmerie, tried to intervene to block access to the final site of the assembly”. At around 9 pm, “the gendarmes suffered significant violence”, with three wounded gendarmes and a burnt car, recalled the prosecutor.

    The investigation determined that there was an entrance fee of five euros for participants, some from abroad, Italy, Spain or even Poland.

    Stands selling narcotics

    Several stands (sale of alcohol, food) were installed outside the hangars where techno music resounded, some even being “real stands selling narcotics, in particular cannabis, cocaine, heroin and LSD” , while a place was “specially equipped for their consumption with cushions and rugs”.

    “All these elements attest to a logistical organization and significant coordination,” recalls the prosecutor. In all, 800 vehicles were present in the vicinity of this gathering.

    In the context of the pandemic and the respect of barrier gestures, the survey revealed that “less than 5% of the participants had a protective mask”.

    In response to criticism, the prosecutor also recalled that, “when the rally was dispersed, 1,645 people, or two-thirds of the participants, were fined.”

    Share Button