Due to the very rapid development in the United Kingdom of the VUI-2020-12-01 variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, France, the first land, sea and air border for exchanges between the United Kingdom and the territory of France ‘European area, completely suspended Sunday, December 20 at midnight, and for 48 hours, the flow of people and road transport from this country. Other suspension decisions were taken simultaneously in a majority of EU countries and beyond.This period allowed for consultation between the European Commission and the Member States based on the health risk analysis published on December 20 by the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), as well as constructive bilateral exchanges between French and British governments.
Given this context, from midnight on 22 December, only the following categories of people will be authorized to travel to France or to transit there from the United Kingdom:
- the French, nationals of the European Area, their children and their spouses (married, civil union, cohabiting on presentation of proof of community of life);
- British or third country nationals who are either habitually resident in France, in the European Union or in the European Area, or must make essential trips as listed in the appendix.
Travel by the categories of people concerned will be systematically subject to the obligation to dispose of, before departure, the result of a negative test less than 72 hours.Whatever their nationality, all travelers will therefore be subject to the obligation to present to the airline, maritime or rail company an analytical laboratory document containing the negative result of a Sars-CoV-2 test. The services responsible for border control will also be able to verify this.
In the absence of a PCR test, those antigenic tests which are sensitive to the VUI-2020-12-01 variant, the list of which will be published by the Ministry of Solidarity and Health, will be authorized.
The specific procedures for resuming road freight traffic will be specified in the coming hours.
This device will apply until January 6 at least, subject to a possible bilateral or European re-examination which would take place by then.
Annex : Derogations authorizing entry into French territory for the British or third-country nationals entering France from Great Britain
- Third-country national, holder of a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa, having his main residence in France or who, in transit through France, reaches his main residence in a country of the European Union or assimilated
- Third-country national, in transit for less than 24 hours in the international zone
- Member of a delegation on official mission or of staff of a diplomatic or consular mission, or of an international organization having its seat or an office in France, as well as his spouse or his children
- Foreign health professional contributing to the fight against Covid-19
- Foreign crew or personnel operating passenger and cargo flights, or traveling as a passenger to position themselves at their home base
- Foreign national who provides international transport of goods
- Coach or passenger train driver or crew
- Crew member or person operating a merchant or fishing vessel
- Student holding a VLS, a VCS for studies or for internships (excluding VCS Concours), or coming for less than 90 days from a country exempt from VCS, or a minor in school, justifying a place of accommodation in France
- Professor or researcher employed or invited by a French educational institution or research laboratory who travels for study and teaching purposes
- Third-country national with a VLS “Talent passport”
- People benefiting from a laissez-passer issued by the General Directorate of Foreigners in France of the Ministry of the Interior, to facilitate the exercise of an economic activity, to allow the reunification of spouse or for medical reasons.