Lottery of the QMJHL: the Olympic cross your fingers

Loterie de la LHJMQ: les Olympiques se croisent les doigts

The chance will smile to the Olympic of Gatineau? On the eve of the lottery of the draft of the League of the Quebec major junior hockey (QMJHL), held in a particular context, the excitement is at its height among the leaders of the formation of the Ottawa-gatineau region.

The dates of the season 2020-2021 may still be uncertain because of the global pandemic, but the Olympics and their new boss, operations hockey, Louis Robitaille, will play big Wednesday. The lottery will be broadcast live at 14h on the YouTube channel of the QMJHL.

With 18 balls 21 to the interior of the abacus, the Olympics are likely to be very high (85.7 percent) of winning the jackpot then they have the choice of Bathurst, Halifax, as well as their own, acquired by way of transactions. In the 47-year history, the franchise has never had the opportunity to select first overall in the session selection. No doubt about it, the lottery, and this draft will change significantly the face of the organization the most successful in the QMJHL with the seven bowls of the President.

Better yet, with all the balls in their own image in the draw, they could end up talking in the first three rows, a never-before-seen in the history. A team has never talked about it three times among the first five levels.

Nothing gained

The Sea Dogs of Saint John, with the selection belonging originally to the Drakkar of Baie-Comeau, quebec, and the Quebec Remparts will also take part in the exercise with two balls and a ball – 9.5% and 4.8% of probability to be favored by chance.

“We are very excited about it. It would be an honor to an incredible select to the first rank, and this would be something big as this is something that the organization has not had the chance to do since its foundation. At the same time, we don’t want to get too excited, because no matter the outcome, we are confident to recover players of quality”, has launched Robitaille in a telephone interview with The Journalon Tuesday.

Hired by the Olympic at the beginning of the month of April to occupy the dual duties of coach and general manager, hockey man knows that Lady luck has often favoured a club with less likely to pick him in the first rank.

Robitaille and his team are busy putting the finishing touches to the auction midget scheduled for June 5 and 6 in a virtual way. “It’s still a lottery, but I like better to have 86 % chance of only 14 %”, said Robitaille, who has resigned from his post as instructor of the Victoriaville Tigers after four seasons to join the Olympics.

Holders of the first choice last year, the Sea Dogs could be awarded the palm for the sixth time since their arrival in 2005. They had had a happy hand this year thanks to a special lottery for them and the Fog Devils St. John’s, the two clubs expansion. As for the Walls, they were never drafted at the top since its revival in 1997.

Luneau drafted in the USHL

Considered by many as the most beautiful hope of the draft despite his commitment to join the ranks of the Badgers of Wisconsin in the NCAA, the defender Tristan Luneau was selected in the sixth round on Monday by the formation of Sioux Falls in the USHL.

If this selection by the junior circuit american is hardly a surprise, the clan Luneau has not yet taken any decision about the continuation of the career of the player of the Booms to Three-Rivers.

Share Button