WELLINGTON | New Zealand will gradually lift the containment in the course of the next ten days, although restrictions will remain, and this in favor of the success recorded in the fight against the new coronavirus, has announced the first minister Jacinda Ardern.
The head of the government announced that the health warning would be reduced to level 2 (out of 4) from Thursday, when shopping malls, cinemas, restaurants and playgrounds will re-open.
“Nobody should think that the COVID-19 is no longer among us,” warned Ms Ardern noting, however, that the archipelago is, at the end of 70 days of confinement, had more than 90 cases of coronavirus assets.
“Your efforts have brought us to this point before most of the other countries, without the carnage that the COVID-19 has inflicted on many other places,” she said in a televised speech. “But risks remain, so please, be vigilant”.
New Zealand, which has five million inhabitants, recorded 1 of 147 cases of coronavirus, and 21 deaths.
The number of new cases in 24 hours is less than ten since mid-April. It was a Monday three.
Under the level 2 health alert, international borders remain closed, but life in the interior of the country will regain some form of normality.
The rules of social distancing will need to be observed, but the people will not be required to remain at home.
“At level 2, we can again get out, and most of the economic sectors leave,” says Ms Ardern.
The containment had already been liberalized, there are two weeks to allow the take-out food and some leisure activities. But the freedom will be much larger from Thursday.
People over 70 years will once again be out after more than seven weeks in mandatory quarantine.
Travel within the country will once again be allowed, which will relieve a bit of tourism professionals. Schools will re-open fully on Monday next.
The bars do will re-open not before 21 may, which will give them a little more time to prepare their premises to host clients in compliance with the rules of social distancing.
The sports events will be able to return. Preparations are underway to ensure the launch on June 13, a local version of the international championship of Super Rugby, which will only include five teams in new zealand.