MADRID | The king of Roland-Garros, Rafael Nadal, doubt that a “grand tournament can be played in short or medium term”, due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus, which paralyzes the tennis court, and more broadly the whole sport.
“Tennis is a world sport, we are going from country to country, it is necessary to mobilize a lot of people. It seems difficult for a big tournament can be played in short or medium term”, said the Spaniard, world number 2, Wednesday evening, in a special broadcast aired by the radio stations Onda Cero and Cope.
The tennis is at a complete stop since the beginning of march and after the announcement of a postponement of Roland-Garros in the late spring to early autumn, Wimbledon has preferred to throw in the towel and cancel his publishing 2020.
Last week, Andrea Gaudenzi, the head of the ATP, the professional circuit was male, stated that he hoped to be able to resume the season in August, in order to save the “three majors and six Masters 1000”, even if different scenarios remain in the study including a stop until the next year.
Nadal, crowned 19 times in Grand Slam tournaments, including 12 on the clay of Roland Garros, was also judged “very difficult” to resume behind closed doors, as envisaged in the football, even if he would be “delighted” to be able to do.
The world number 1, Novak Djokovic, also suggested during this show that play behind closed doors “is not an easy decision”. “I’m ready, but I think you need to wait a few months,” added the Serb, winner of the last Grand Slam tournament played, the Australian Open, in early February.
For Nadal, the current priority is to fight against the pandemic, because “a lot of people are living a terrible situation”. “At the present time, the tennis is far from being my priority,” assured the player, which launched last month with the basketball player Pau Gasol a call to the sports Spanish to give the money to the Red Cross.
“Our goal is to reach 11 million euros and we are already at 7 million,” he said happily.