The Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada, originally planned for June 14, has been postponed because of the pandemic of COVID-19, Tuesday.
The promoter made the announcement by way of press release, explaining that the decision had been made taking into account the recommendations of public health experts and authorities of the various levels of government. He further added that the priority was the fight against the coronavirus currently.
“I am proud to see all the initiatives and the technological advancements that emanate from the F1 during this period of crisis. At this time, it is essential to concentrate all of our efforts to address the COVID-19, said François Dumontier. We will be ready to welcome you with open arms at the circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as the situation allows.”
This announcement is, moreover, occurred a few minutes before the mayor of Montreal’s Valerie Plante announced the cancellation of all sporting and cultural events in the metropolis until 2 July.
“The City cancels its cultural and sports events on its territory until 2 July, in order to limit the opportunities for gathering, she wrote on her Twitter account. This is not an easy decision, because Montreal has a rhythm of its summer events. We will be there to support our partners.”
Not a cancellation
Formula 1 has also responded, explaining that it was definitely a postponement and not a cancellation.
“We are working closely with our friends in the GP of Canada for several weeks to support them in this decision-making necessary to ensure the safety of supporters and the community of the F1,” said Chase Carey, the president of the F1.
“We always look forward to visiting this wonderful city that is Montreal, and even if we have to wait a little before our arrival, we will present a grandiose show a little later this year.”
The proponent has also indicated that the tickets already sold were still valid. Options will be presented to the ticket holder when a new date will be validated.