The deck of the Quebec bridge will be redone in the next few years

Le tablier du pont de Québec sera refait dans les prochaines années

The Quebec government has launched a call for tenders, Tuesday, for the preparation of plans and specifications in preparation for the deck replacement of the Quebec bridge, which has not been renovated since 1950.

The bridge deck is a steel structure and concrete, on which it extends the asphalt roads and footpaths. Even if the CN is the owner of the bridge centennial, the apron is under the responsibility of the ministère des Transports du Québec. About 30,000 vehicles passing through every day.

The tender did not specify any timeline for the completion of the work to come, but the minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, hope to be able to announce the “final solution which will be retained by 2021”, he said in a press release.

Logically, this major project is expected to commence the following year, 2022, since the update of the final draft and the preparation of plans and specifications should be spread over a period of one year from the awarding of contracts for professional services in August. The MTQ will then launch a new call for tenders for the construction of the work.

End of its useful life

The first review of preliminary draft had been completed in 2010. In 2014, it became clear following inspection that the bridge deck had to be replaced, having reached its useful life. Its reconstruction has, however, been delayed in order to integrate the public transport project structuring, which has changed shape a few times over the years.

Originally, the deceased SRB (or trambus) had to borrow, the Quebec bridge to shuttle between the north shore and the south shore, which meant lower deck of the bridge. Finally, the proposed BRT is death and the tram which has taken the relay does not take the structure’s centennial.

The project “is progressing well”

“The dissemination of this call for proposals reflects the importance given by the government to the progress of the project of the Quebec bridge. The preparation of the project is progressing well,” said François Bonnardel.

“This is great news, because the Quebec bridge is a landmark in the heart of the National Capital (…) The replacement project will be planned to minimize impacts on mobility at the regional level”, emphasized the minister responsible for the Capitale-Nationale, Geneviève Guilbault.

At the time of this writing, it had not been possible to obtain an estimate of the costs or details on the potential length of this large-scale construction site. In 2014, there was already talk of work valued at “several tens of millions of dollars”, without being more specific.

Nothing new for rust

Beyond the apron, the main issue – federal one – relates to the structure of the bridge in cantilever, which is eaten away by rust. The federal liberals have still not released the report of the special negotiator, Yvon Charest, appointed in August 2019 to attempt to resolve the stalemate that persists between the federal government and CN.

Recently, the conservatives have urged the Trudeau government to make public the recommendations of Mr. Charest.

The redemption of the Quebec bridge by Ottawa is part of the solutions proposed to come to the end of the saga of the painting, is another site that is expensive to come to several hundreds of millions of dollars, according to the most recent estimates.

Share Button