When Yanni Gourde lifted the Stanley Cup at the end of his arms Monday night, he gave hope to many hockey players that it was possible to make a career in the NHL without being drafted. These include Quebec Remparts forward Cole Cormier.
Eligible for the NHL draft, which will take place next Tuesday and Wednesday, Cormier prefers not to have expectations. Listed 134th among North American skaters by the Bettman Circuit Recruiting Center, he is aware that there is a risk that he will not hear his name in one of the seven rounds of the draft.
“I'm not nervous. If I'm drafted, so much the better. Otherwise, it's just a draft and I'll still be eligible next year. When I see guys like Yanni Gourde winning a Stanley Cup, it shows that you don't need to be drafted in the first round to make it into the NHL, ”he said on Tuesday.
Cormier says he is ready to contribute even more this season with the Remparts, which he joined in mid-season last year, in order to prove his worth.
“I would really like to contribute everywhere. I want to be a guy that Patrick [Roy] can count on. If he wants me to have a big offensive role I'm ready for that, but if he wants me to be defensive I'm ready to go too. I will do what I am told to do every day. “
Cormier also hopes to have the chance to play a full season and that COVID-19 will not again thwart the plans of the QMJHL.
“It's not fun to know that you are in a red zone. We've been here for a month and we're in a little bubble. I go from my pension to the arena, so we don't really go in public. It is important for players and coaches to respect the rules. “
There are still no cases to report in the QMJHL after a month of activity. For these reasons, Remparts head coach Patrick Roy was not afraid that his team's activities would be interrupted due to the passage of the Capitale-Nationale in the red zone on Monday.
“On our side, we are very careful. We're touching wood, but there is still no case of COVID-19, so I don't see why we would be arrested. For the moment, we are managing the situation well, ”said Roy on Tuesday.
The Remparts have not taken any risks for a month. In recent weeks, some players have been preemptively sidelined as they were exhibiting symptoms that could resemble those of COVID-19.
“We've been tight from the start. A guy who comes to the arena with a sore throat or a runny nose, he doesn't fit, ”he said, adding that at least four of his limbs have been tested in the past few weeks. Tests that have all been negative.
Recruiters and player agents will no longer have access to the home games of the Remparts and the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada as long as the Capitale-Nationale region and the Sainte-Thérèse-de-Blainville RCM will be considered as a “red zone”.
It was the LHJMQ itself that made this decision and its assistant commissioner, Martin Lavallée, explained it Tuesday in a letter sent to the 18 teams of the LHJMQ and of which Le Journal obtained a copy. Thus, only the players and hockey personnel of the teams, on and off-ice officials, the administrative staff of the host team, the communications manager of the visiting team, the administrative staff of the QMJHL, the maintenance staff. of the amphitheater and members of the media covering the activities of the host team will be admitted to the circuit amphitheatres located in the red zone.
With the collaboration of Roby St-Gelais