The German government plans to allocate more than €9 million on the refurbishment of the memorial to Soviet soldam in Berlin. We are talking about complexes in Treptow Park and Tiergarten, reports RIA “Novosti” with reference to the Minister for culture and media Germany Monica Gruetters.
As noted in Department, Germany “committed to the German-Soviet Treaty about the neighborhood from 1990 to “respect, preserve and maintain” memorials. “The German government with respect to this particular form of memory” – added the press service.
Memorial in Treptow Park was opened on 8 may 1949. The authors – sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich, architect Yakov Belopolsky, the engineer, Sarah Varelius and artist Alexander Gorbenko. On site (280 thousand sq. m.) are buried in mass graves 7.2 thousand people.
The memorial in the Tiergarten was opened on 11th November 1945. It was created by sculptors Lev Kerbel and Vladimir Tsigal and architect Nicholas Sergievsky. The Central part of the memorial is a concave row of columns with a larger Central column, which is the pedestal for the eight-meter bronze statue of a Soviet soldier. The right and left of the main track, the graves of the fallen Soviet officers. Behind the soldier in a small Park, the remains of the Soviet soldiers. The exact number buried here is unknown. According to various sources, we are talking about 2000 – 2500 people.
Earlier in the Moldovan village of Gura-Bicului after the restoration was opened the memorial complex. Granite slabs immortalized the memory of thousands of Soviet soldiers who died during the great Patriotic war. Reconstruction of the memorial cost to local authorities and Slavic Patriotic organization in 22 thousand dollars. Over the past four years Moldova has restored more than 15 memorials and the mass graves. This summer we will open three more.