The government opens an investigation into slavery

Photo: Mahmud Turkia Agence France-Presse
The facts as described, which qualified as acts of “inhuman and contrary to the culture and traditions of the libyan people”, “are the subject of an investigation,” said the ministry of foreign Affairs in a statement read before the press.

Tripoli — The libyan government of national unity (GNA), referring to acts ” inhuman “, said on Sunday that an investigation had been opened into cases of slavery, near the capital, Tripoli, following a documentary the shock of the american channel information, streaming CNN.

 

The government is following “with great attention to media reports about the exploitation of illegal migrants by criminals,” said the ministry of foreign Affairs in a statement read before the press.

 

The facts as described, which qualified as acts of ” inhuman and contrary to the culture and traditions of the libyan people “, “are the subject of an investigation,” it continued.

 

“If these allegations are confirmed, all the people involved in these crimes will be punished,” promised the same ministry.

 

While recalling “his total commitment and clear” to the charter of the united Nations and its attachment to the texts criminalizing the trade of persons, Tripoli was, however, criticized the position of the countries of the region on the folder.

 

“Libya warns […] against international solutions superficial and sterile which in reality are hindering its efforts to curb this phenomenon, paving the way for networks of organized crime “, argued the ministry of foreign Affairs.


Photo: Geoffroy Van der Hasselt Agence France-Presse
Saturday, a thousand people demonstrated in Paris to denounce slavery in Libya, according to the prefecture of police.

The idea of setting up reception centres in Libya had been advanced at the end of August during a mini-summit in Paris in the presence of european countries, Niger or Chad. She had, however, been abandoned because of the persistent insecurity in the country.

 

Earlier Sunday, deputy prime minister of the union government of libya, Ahmed Metig, had already issued a statement on Facebook to express his “displeasure” about ” the reappearance of the slave trade in the suburbs of Tripoli “.

 

Mr. Metig had indicated that it would take ” a commission to investigate these reports of the press in order to apprehend and bring perpetrators to justice “.

 

Shocking pictures

 

A recent CNN report showing migrants being sold at auction in Libya, and widely shared on social networks, has caused a strong emotion, sparking outrage in Africa and the united nations.

 

One sees there in particular, on a bad image taken by a mobile phone, two young men. The sound is that of a voice auctioning ” boys big and strong for the work of the farm. 400… 700… “before the reporter explains :” these men are sold for 1200 libyan dinar — $ 400 each “.

 

Saturday, a thousand people demonstrated in Paris to denounce slavery in Libya, according to the prefecture of police.

 

Since the fall in 2011 of the regime of Muammar Gaddafi, the smugglers, taking advantage of the security vacuum and impunity in Libya, promise to tens of thousands of people seeking a better life a gateway to Italy, which is 300 kilometres from the libyan coast.

 

According to the latest figures from the international Organization for migration (IOM), nearly 156 000 migrants and refugees have arrived in Europe by sea since January 1, (compared to almost 341 000 during the same period in 2016), 73 % in Italy. Nearly 3000 have died attempting the crossing.

Share Button