The mayor suggests a route reduces in Charlesbourg, and confirms a request for accelerated timetable

Le maire évoque un tracé réduit dans Charlesbourg et confirme une demande d'échéancier accéléré

The mayor of Quebec city has discussed today the possibility that the route of the tram will be shortened in the area of Charlesbourg, and has confirmed that it has asked for an accelerated timetable for the implementation of the tramway.

“The possibility that, for example, when we will open the envelopes [of the tender] it is more expensive than expected, we anticipated this eventuality. For example, one could shorten the tram system in part or completely, between 76th Street and 41st Street,” said Régis Labeaume in the margin of the inauguration of the marché public de Sainte-Foy.

This statement follows the passage in front of the Bureau d’audiences publiques sur l’environnement (BAPE) from the director of the project office, Daniel Genest, on Wednesday. He had mentioned the possibility of a path shorter, if the costs are greater than anticipated.

“It is not a goal, said the mayor. Everyone has worked hard to try to fit as precisely as possible [in the costs] to the current market.” But the mayor has indicated that the figures used were pre-COVID.

In addition, Mr. Labeaume has confirmed that it has proposed in may an accelerated timetable for the realization of the project of network structuring.

“Yes, it was ahead of schedule. And we said, at the same time: what would be the fun that it is all set up the next election to put this behind us.”

The primary motivation is also to put the machine to participate in the revival of the economy, he added. “This project, in two months, will be the largest project of Quebec and in Quebec.”

Thus, before the COVID, the launch of the call for proposal to find a consortium that will carry out the project network should be done in November 2020. The project office has made the decision to stay ahead of two months the launch of the call. He had to work all summer to make the tender document in three waves from the last week of August.

The contract could be signed with the successful consortium in the summer of 2021, rather than in February 2022. However, it is still necessary for the City to obtain the government decree to proceed according to the timeline desired. This is not yet settled, confirmed the mayor.

As to the publication of the map of expropriations, that the BAPE has ordered this week, the mayor said he is “in agreement with the decision”.

Share Button