Cairo | The egyptian ministry of Health announced on Friday that it recorded the first case of new coronavirus on the african continent.
The carrier of the disease is not egyptian, said in a press release the spokesman of the ministry, Khaled Megahed, without specifying his nationality or his gender.
The world Health Organization (WHO) has been informed and the patient, who had no “symptoms”, has been transferred to hospital and placed in quarantine to be cared for, according to the ministry.
“The ministry has taken precautionary measures and monitors the progress of the case (…) that has stabilized,” said Mr. Megahed.
It is the first case registered in a country of the african continent, which has strong trade links with China and where the health systems are sometimes outdated.
Egypt had suspended the beginning of February until the end of the month the flights of its national carrier with China.
About 300 Egyptians had been evacuated in February from Wuhan, a chinese city and the epicenter of the epidemic, and had been placed in quarantine for 14 days.
The balance sheet of the outbreak of the new coronavirus was approaching Friday, the 1,400 deaths in China, which concentrates 99.9% of the deaths in the world due to this virus.
Until now, only Japan and the Philippines, were reported by each of the dead on their territory.