Golfers Graeme McDowell and Brooks Koepka have chosen to withdraw from the Championship Travelers of the PGA tour’s scheduled this week in Cromwell, Connecticut, after learning that their cadets had been tested positive for the coronavirus.
The two men have played a round of training together, Monday, in the company of Chase Koepka, the brother of Brooks, and Shane Lowry.
On the side of McDowell, his long-time ally, Ken Cowboy, is believed to have been exposed to the COVID-19 to the suite of the Charles Schwab Challenge presented two weeks ago. Given that the private plane of McDowell was too small to accommodate his group, Cowboy had resigned himself to taking a commercial flight “overloaded” in the direction of Orlando.
“In order to ensure the protection of all the players and my physical well-being, and mental, I will go get a test tomorrow morning [Wednesday] before taking a private flight, said golfer in the magazine “Golfweek”. I’m going to go from here to get back to Florida and then I will decide if I need to place myself in quarantine with my family.”
Cowboy is not directed to the place of the tournament will begin on Thursday. McDowell had been tested negative on Monday.
Other bad news
During the day of Wednesday, it was the turn of Ricky Elliott, the youngest son of Brooks Koepka, to receive a positive result, forcing the golfer to forfeit.
“I’m going to withdraw from the tournament in order to protect the other, stressed Koepka, adding that he had tested negative on Monday. I do not want to put at risk the life of another person, especially if she has breathing problems or other health problems. The only way to operate this circuit, it is that the guys take this kind of decision and they are proactive about it.”
Positive COVID-19, Cameron Field is also withdrawn from the competition.
For their part, Chase Koepka and Webb Simpson withdrew as a preventive measure, who have been in contact with people who have contracted the virus.
Out of the question to stop
In the past three weeks, 2757 tests COVID-19 have been carried out by the medical team of the PGA. Only seven of them have been positive.
Commissioner Jay Monahan doesn’t plan to cancel the tournaments to the schedule and wants rather than all the players and staff are more vigilant.
“We must learn to live with this virus, he said in a video conference broadcast on Twitter, Wednesday. This virus will not go anywhere. We’re going to do more tests.”
“I am satisfied and I have confidence in our health and safety program, even if we have had positive tests. I believe that this is something which we have to wait. We learned a lot.”
Monahan also indicated that more stringent measures will be introduced to further limit the positive cases. Among other things, more people in the entourage of a player will be tested, for example, the coaches.
“We all have the responsibility to follow the protocols. There will be serious consequences for those who do not respect them, added the commissioner. We have never said that we were perfect. We need to continue to improve in the future.”