MONTREAL – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that as a lifelong Montreal Canadiens fan, he is “deeply disappointed” by the team’s selection of Logan Mailloux in the NHL draft.
Mailloux, who was elected by the Canadiens on July 23, was fined by a Swedish court last year after being convicted of charges related to sharing, without his consent, a photo of a woman performing a sexual act.
Trudeau told reporters in Moncton, NB, today that the Canadiens organization showed a lack of judgment in selecting Mailloux and that the team owes fans an explanation.
“As a longtime Habs fan, I am deeply disappointed by the decision,” Trudeau said. a press conference. “I think it was a lack of judgment on the part of the Canadiens organization. I think they have a lot to explain to the Montrealers and fans across the country.”
Mailloux, 18, who had asked teams not to recruit him, told reporters Saturday that sharing the photo was “stupid” and “irresponsible.”
Mailloux’s selection has also been criticized by Isabelle Charest, the Quebec minister responsible for the status of women, and by organizations that work with women victims of sexual violence.
Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters Saturday that the gap between Mailloux and the next best player the Habs could have chosen was too great to ignore and that he believes the defender would have been selected by another team if the Canadiens would not have chosen him.