The temperature is affected by several factors.
Body temperature is a very important indicator, which allows to assess the state of health of people and animals, including cats. And what temperature is considered normal for fluffy Pets?
What is the temperature in cats is normal? It should be in the range from 38 to 39 degrees, it is considered normal for a healthy animal. And yet certain deviations may occur, informs Rus.Media.
What can affect the temperature?
The body temperature of the cats may vary slightly. This indicator is affected by several factors:
- The age of the animal. Thus, in Mature cats temperature may be slightly reduced. This is because, firstly, with age, the pupils become less active and more calm. Second, the body slows down all processes, the metabolic rate slows down, and it can also lead to lower. And here at kittens, on the contrary, the temperature can be increased, and this is explained by the inferior body, in particular, some disorders of thermoregulation. It is a protective mechanism that helps to prevent hypothermia. The normal body temperature of the kitten is approximately 39.5 degrees.
- Time of the day. Night and morning the temperature is slightly reduced (typically to 37 degrees in a healthy animal) as animal is in a calm state. But in the evening after an active day, it can, conversely, increase.
- Sex. In cats because of the effects of hormones and characteristics of the reproductive system temperature is slightly higher than females.
- Time of the year. In winter the temperature may rise, so the body cat tries to warm up and prevent hypothermia. If the cat came in from a walk in the cold season, the temperature, on the contrary, will decrease.
- Temperament. Active cats temperature is often elevated, and it must be so, because while movements accelerate all processes.
The increase in temperature almost always says any inflammation or problem in the body. And they can be very diverse: from poisonings or infections of various organs to problems in the kidneys. In addition, the temperature can be slightly increased and during pregnancy.
The symptoms of elevated temperature: hot and dry nose, lethargy and weakness of a pet, loss of appetite, decreased activity, increased heart rate, and frequent or heavy breathing.
What to do? To reduce the temperature, you can give your pet antipyretic drug (in the street), lightly wet his fur, pet drink water (preferably cool), and applying something cool to the inner thighs or neck.
Lowering the temperature
The reduction temperature is not less dangerous than its increase. And if she dropped below 37 degrees, it is necessary to sound the alarm.
What may indicate this symptom?
- First, about hypothermia, this is the reason the most banal and obvious.
- Second, the decrease in body temperature may occur with large blood loss or internal bleeding, and such conditions are extremely dangerous and require immediate assistance.
- Thirdly, such a manifestation can be accompanied by serious diseases of the nervous or cardiovascular system.
Major symptoms of low temperature: the raising of wool, weakness, trying to find a warm place to curl up, trembling, pale skin and all mucous membranes.
How to help? To increase the temperature of the body try to warm pet cover it with a blanket or wrap, overlaid warmers and also offer a warm drink.
How to measure temperature?
To determine the temperature, it is desirable to use a mercury thermometer, it is more accurate. To put it in the anus, that is, measurements are taken rectally. The animal probably will not like it, so I have to keep her, as sudden movements and increased activity can affect the results.
So, take a thermometer, antiseptic, and lubricate the tip with vaseline. Secure pet (preferably ask someone for help, you yourself can hardly handle) and place in the anus to the tip of the thermometer about 2 or 3 cm. After 2-3 minutes remove the thermometer and see the results. Then the device, wipe a cotton pad soaked in antiseptic.
Such knowledge will help you to monitor the health of the cat, to monitor its condition and to identify any temperature deviation.